Saturday, June 23, 2007

reviewtime: Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde


I've recently been from the school of thought that modern music coming from France worthy of my attention must include at least one synthesizer keyboard (m83) or a pop sensation with a body and dance routine to make you feel erotic at any given moment (Alizee). After giving the new Alcest album: 'Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde" (loosely translated to "Memories of Another World") a listen, I found I may just be flunking out of school.

The simple premise is this: black metal got fresh with shoegaze, and they had a baby. Check what people are saying about this album anywhere and you are bound to stumble upon those saying its black metal, and those saying it isn't and yada yada. Doesn't matter, it is completely both - and neither genre is in a position to lay sole claim to this sound. My favorite aspects of each genre are represented here, and I always subconsciously knew they were the same, Alcest proves it. The droning, sonic guitar layering providing the framework for the aural wall of sound is executed with grace and absolutely no pretentiousness. This becomes obvious a short way through the first offering on the record entitled "Printemps Emeraude" which slowly builds upon the backbone of layered metal riffs and a submissive yet not at all laid back drum beat. The jaw dropper on this track is the injection of vocals, which to me weren't even necessary, although they are what set this record apart, as the instrumentation alone could carry it strongly.

The seemingly short six song collection travels on through each song with deliberate and crafted transitions between loud/quiet, melodic/sonic, black/shoe (oh funny!). Nothing is rushed, nothing is left out, giving the listener the feeling that this guy is in complete control of where he is going with this vast sound scape being built in front of you. The third song, "Les Iris" is another stand out song in my opinion. As in many of the songs, acoustic work compliments and carries the dreamier parts which carry the song to the next stage. Each part of building up seems to out-do the one prior, pushing you to think "wow, I didn't even think this was possible". A true example of beautiful music.

So many positive descriptions will be given to this record and it is quite deserving, I know I haven't had a record take me quite like this one has in some time. The most refreshing part I find about it, is it does something I think people have been thinking and feeling for a long time. It seems to hit on what some have attempted and already done, but does it to a higher level of discipline and accurate execution.

Alcest's MySpace: (Link)

No comments: